Re: benchmarking the query planner

From: "Vladimir Sitnikov" <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking the query planner
Date: 2008-12-11 21:19:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> There's something in what you say, but consider that we have pretty
> much unanimous agreement that 10 is too small. I think we should
> try to fix the problem, not just gradually ratchet up the value until
> people start complaining in the other direction. (Also, we should have
> plenty of opportunity during beta to find out if we went too far.)

I am not sure if entity-attribute-value model could be used for postgres
database, however that is one of the cases that require large MCV list
(generally, for attribute column).

You know, Oracle is not able to store more than 254 distinct values for
histogram statistics. That really limits the use of histograms for software
product the company I work for creates.

One more direction could be implementing "MCV" for range of values (group
values and interpolate in between). Consider statistics on timestamp column
that says that for "2008-December" there are as many X rows, for
"2008-November" as many as Y, etc. That could be used for rather accurate
cardinality estimation of "between" cases, while keeping number of entries
in "MCV" list small.

Regards,
Vladimir Sitnikov