Re: Noob Q: Is the PG database its own source code backup?

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kenneth Tilton <kentilton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Noob Q: Is the PG database its own source code backup?
Date: 2009-04-28 05:23:54
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/4/28 Kenneth Tilton <kentilton(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> I find myself hacking away in pgAdmin most of the time now, after early on
> keeping PG source code in text files I could preserve in SVN. At this point
> I cannot point to anything other than the pg db itself that has a full
> description.
>
> Is this normal? Or do folks assiduously maintain an external set of scripts
> and always work from those, resisting the temptation to just hack at the db
> with pgAdmin or psql? Or_______?

By "source code" you mean the definitions of database objects (tables,
views, functions etc.?)

Usually with the projects I work with, I treat these as an integral
part of the application code and is maintained as a matter of course
in the source repository. I usually maintain a master file (or set of
files) containing the object definitions, a file (or script) to create
an initial application database setup from these; and a file which
contains the SQL required to make the changes between application
releases.

Ian Barwick