Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby
Date: 2009-05-28 15:16:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> So you check. This solves Guillaume's immediate concern. If you have a
> suggestion for further improvements, I'm all ears.

Thanks for applying the patch.

Yes, the problem is that before this change, even with a working
replication and a clean shutdown, you still had to replicate the last
WAL file by hand. Personnally, I have an eye on each postgresql log
file when I switch from one server to another so I can see if anything
is going wrong (that said, it could be a problem with more than 2
servers...).

This patch just fixes this problem not the other concerns and corner
cases we might have. If we want to go further, we need to agree on
what we want exactly and which corner cases we want to cover but it's
probably 8.5 material at this point.

--
Guillaume