Re: Okay to change TypeCreate() signature in back branches?

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Okay to change TypeCreate() signature in back branches?
Date: 2009-02-23 20:32:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> There are a number of options at this point, including fixing the
> problem only in HEAD, fixing back to 8.1 but no further, or making
> wrapper functions in the back branches to preserve the existing
> argument lists of heap_create_with_catalog and/or TypeCreate.

I'd go for fixing it properly back to 8.1. 8.1 is the oldest version
people still put into production with new applications IMHO (due
mainly to its inclusion in current versions of RHEL and SLES).

I'm not sure it's worth it to backport it to older versions. It seems
like a minor problem and older versions I still see in production
usually aren't running the latest minor version anyway. I can't
measure the time needed to write the wrapper functions though. If it's
just a matter of a couple of minutes and it's not risky, perhaps it's
better to fix it right now.

--
Guillaume