Re: Some ideas about Vacuum

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Markus Schiltknecht" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers list" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some ideas about Vacuum
Date: 2008-01-16 19:26:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 16, 2008 7:41 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> I don't think it's going to work too well, though, not without major
> changes at least.

Well, I know it's really not doable with the current behaviour of WAL.
I just wanted to point this feature request because we had it a few
times and having one cluster per database is not really smart and it
wasn't too far from the subject.

> What would happen when you restore a PITR backup of
> just one database? Would the other databases still be there in the
> restored cluster?

In a perfect world, you should be able to trigger the PITR for only
one database of the cluster with the other databases still running.
It's especially interesting on a shared database server.

--
Guillaume