Re: Idle idea for a feature

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Idle idea for a feature
Date: 2007-04-10 20:48:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/10/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> ISTM it'd be a good idea if it did, as "are there any incoming
> foreign keys" seems to be a question we constantly ask when solving
> update-performance problems, and there isn't any easy way to check for
> such.

Sure. We wrote a stored proc to do that and it could be really nice to
have it by defaut in the table definition.

Something like:
Incoming foreign keys:
"name_of_the_fkey" (column of this table) REFERENCED BY
table(columns of the other table)
could be nice.
Not sure about the title of the section. Another problem is that this
syntax is not based on valid SQL syntax.

--
Guillaume