Re: Column storage positions

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Phil Currier" <pcurrier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column storage positions
Date: 2007-04-01 15:13:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/20/07, Phil Currier <pcurrier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Inspired by this thread [1], and in particular by the idea of storing
> three numbers (permanent ID, on-disk storage position, display
> position) for each column, I spent a little time messing around with a
> prototype implementation of column storage positions to see what kind
> of difference it would make.

Phil, did you make any progress with your patch? Your results seemed
very encouraging and your implementation interesting.
IIRC, the problem was that you weren't interested in working on the
"visual/mysqlish" column ordering. As the plan was to decouple column
ordering in three different orderings, I don't think it's really a
problem if your implementation doesn't support one of them (at least
if it doesn't prevent us from having the visual one someday).

Is there any chance you keep us posted with your progress and post a
preliminary patch exposing your design choices? This could allow other
people to see if there are interesting results with their particular
database and workload.

It's too late for 8.3 but it could be a nice thing to have in 8.4.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

--
Guillaume