Re: Moving database install to new SAN

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andrzej Zawadzki" <zawadaa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving database install to new SAN
Date: 2007-09-20 18:10:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

> > 2. copy whole data directory over to new SAN
> If database is big, then I think that is much faster to copy running
> database
> to new SAN.
> Then stop postgres and rsync what was changed - but this will be probably
> only a few files.

I believe if you do this, you will not get a function database in the end.
There is a lot of data that is held in memory/buffers that may not be
flushed to the disks. You have no guarantee you will get this data with
this method.

Either shut the database down and cold copy it, or setup replication using
Slony to move the data in a "hot"mode.

HTH,

Chris