Re: How to update from 8.1 to 8.2 ?

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Carol Walter" <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: "Milen A(dot) Radev" <milen(at)radev(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to update from 8.1 to 8.2 ?
Date: 2007-09-20 18:06:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 9/20/07, Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu> wrote:

> We just did this. I did a pg_dumpall using 8.1. Then we fired up
> 8.2 while 8.1 was still running. Uploaded the data to 8.2. Then
> shut 8.1 down. This allowed us to have the database unavailable for
> a very short time.
>
> Carol

Carol,

If this is truely what you did, you are a very lucky person. You are always
supposed to dump the old database using the new versions
pg_dump/pg_dumpall. That way, pg_dump/pg_dumpall can set up the data for
any changes made by the newer version.

Just an fyi for those following this thread.

HTH,

chris