Re: Bytea question

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bytea question
Date: 2007-04-11 13:32:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

What I am needing to do is to store a file I receive, say file1.dat. I want
to store file1.dat into a bytea field so we can always go back and retrieve
the original file to verify if needed. However, I also need to process the
data that is in file1.dat (1234 johnny 1254.12). When I load file1.dat into
the bytea field, I just have a large escaped record that represents the
file. What I am hoping is possible is to have postgres look into file1.dat's
byte a field and be able to read the data in file1.dat (assuming it's a
simple text file). That way, the database can do all of the heavy lifting
and loading.

so.

Insert file1.dat into a bytea field of table a.
Table a's insert trigger fires, and postgres looks at the bytea field and
see's file1.dat and its contents of "1234 johnny 1254.12".
Trigger runs logic on data and loads into appropriate tables

I hope this makes sense.

Chris