Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rickard Sjöström <rickard(dot)sjostrom(at)bluebottle(dot)com>
Cc: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Matthias(dot)Pitzl(at)izb(dot)de" <Matthias(dot)Pitzl(at)izb(dot)de>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2
Date: 2006-12-19 21:40:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Very easy,

Install the new version of PostgreSQL on your new machine. Then use the new
machine's install to pg_dump the old machine's database and load it into the
new machine (obviously, the machines must be table to talk to each other
over the network). Very easy. That is how I upgraded all of my servers
from 7.3.4 to 8.1.3. (An upgrade that went very smoothly with no hiccups.)

HTH,

Chris