best way to choose index to cluster on?

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: best way to choose index to cluster on?
Date: 2006-09-25 20:57:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am looking to squeeze a bit more speed out of my database by clustering
most of my tables. However, on tables with multiple indexes, how is the
best way to choose the index. I am thinking I want to use the index with
the largest pg_stat_user_indexes.idx_tup_read. Would this be correct? If
not, what column(s) and views should I be looking at to find the most
popular index?

Secondly, I have some partial indexes on a very active table, and it tends
to have the highest idx_tup_read for that table. Is is possible to cluster
on a partial index?

Thanks,

Chris