Why so long between archive calls?

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Why so long between archive calls?
Date: 2006-08-29 15:35:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am working on getting my development system working with archive logging
so I can use the pitr features of Postgres. However, I am finding that the
actual archiving is not keeping up with the generation of the logs. I am
now over 500 wal archive files behind (8+ GB).

What controls how often the archive_command is called?

The actual running of my archive script is taking 1-2 seconds, so I'm not
sure why we are so far behind.

Thanks for any advise,

Chris

PG 8.1.3