Disk Access Question

From: Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Disk Access Question
Date: 2005-09-20 17:55:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a question on disk access.

How often is PostgreSQL accessing/touching the files that are on the hard
drive?

What I'm trying to ask is, is PostgreSQL constantly updating access
timestamps or something like that on the database files even if they are not
being queried? This questions comes from an Oracle background where Oracle
was updating the individual files every 3 seconds if I am remembering
correctly.

I am trying to figure out besides the queries, what sort of accessing is
PostgreSQL doing to my drives so we can try and resolve some i/o issues.

Thanks,

Chris