How do you do a negative join?

From: dj00302003(at)yahoo(dot)com (Jay Davis)
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How do you do a negative join?
Date: 2004-03-20 21:32:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

There must be a standard SQL method to query multiple
tables in the following way. Lets say we have two
tables, 'allnames' and 'badnames'. We want to get the
following result:

"select name from allnames where name-is-not-in-badnames;"

Clearly I'm an SQL novice but I haven't found any examples
of such a query in my beginning SQL books.

Thanks.