Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.
Date: 2021-10-25 06:12:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2021-10-24 at 21:32 +0000, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> My initial reaction was that members of pg_maintenance should be able
> to do all of these things (VACUUM, ANALYZE, CLUSTER, REINDEX, and
> CHECKPOINT).

What about REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW? That seems more specific to a
workload, but it's hard to draw a clear line between that and CLUSTER.

> Maybe one
> option is to have two separate roles, one for commands that require
> lower lock levels (i.e., ANALYZE and VACUUM without TRUNCATE and
> FULL), and another for all of the maintenance commands.

My main motivation is CHECKPOINT and database-wide VACUUM and ANALYZE.
I'm fine extending it if others think it would be worthwhile, but it
goes beyond my use case.

Regards,
Jeff Davis