Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2018-11-15 04:38:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018/11/15 11:03, Amit Langote wrote:
> As Michael pointed out, the first cleanup patch needs to be rebased due to
> a recent commit [1]. I did that to see if something we did in that commit
> made things worse for your patch, but seems fine. I had to go and change
> things outside RelationBuildPartitionDesc as I rebased, due to the
> aforementioned commit, but they're simple changes such as changing List *
> arguments of some newly added functions to PartitionBoundSpec **. Please
> find the rebased patches attached with this email.
>
> [1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=b52b7dc2

I noticed that the regression tests containing partitioned tables fail
randomly with the rebased patches I posted, whereas they didn't if I apply
them to HEAD without [1].

It seems to be due to the slightly confused memory context handling in
RelationBuildPartitionDesc after [1], which Alvaro had expressed some
doubts about yesterday.

I've fixed 0001 again to re-order the code so that allocations happen the
correct context and now tests pass with the rebased patches.

By the way, I noticed that the oids array added by Robert's original 0001
patch wasn't initialized to NULL, which could lead to calling pfree on a
garbage value of oids after the 2nd patch.

Thanks,
Amit

[2]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20181113135915.v4r77tdthlajdlqq%40alvherre.pgsql

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Reduce-unnecessary-list-construction-in-RelationBuil.patch text/plain 13.1 KB
0002-Ensure-that-RelationBuildPartitionDesc-sees-a-consis.patch text/plain 6.1 KB