Re: Fix a test case in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Yu Shi (Fujitsu)" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix a test case in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl
Date: 2023-04-27 08:46:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 4/27/23 10:11 AM, Yu Shi (Fujitsu) wrote:
> Hi hackers,
>
> In 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl, I think that the check in the following test
> case should be performed on the standby node, instead of the primary node, as
> the slot is created on the standby node.

Oh right, the current test is not done on the right node, thanks!

> The test currently passes because it
> only checks the return value of psql. It might be more appropriate to check the
> error message.

Agree, and it's consistent with what is being done in 006_logical_decoding.pl.

> Please see the attached patch.

+
+($result, $stdout, $stderr) = $node_standby->psql(
'otherdb',
"SELECT lsn FROM pg_logical_slot_peek_changes('behaves_ok_activeslot', NULL, NULL) ORDER BY lsn DESC LIMIT 1;"
- ),
- 3,
- 'replaying logical slot from another database fails');
+ );
+ok( $stderr =~
+ m/replication slot "behaves_ok_activeslot" was not created in this database/,
+ "replaying logical slot from another database fails");

That does look good to me.

Nit: I wonder if while at it (as it was already there) we could not remove the " ORDER BY lsn DESC LIMIT 1" part of it.
It does not change anything regarding the test but looks more appropriate to me.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team