Re: pg_ctl pointing postgres 9.5.4 after installation of postgres 10

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Debraj Manna <subharaj(dot)manna(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_ctl pointing postgres 9.5.4 after installation of postgres 10
Date: 2018-08-12 06:36:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

What I suspect has happened is that:

- you have 10.4 installed

- you have 9.5 *client only* (as a result of upgrade or manual removal
of the server package)

Examine /usr/lib/postgresql/, you will probably see a 9.5 and 10
directory (but the 9.5 one probably won't have a postgres binary).

If you set PATH to have /usr/lib/postgresql/10/bin in front of
everything else then you will get you 10.4 binaries. However this is a
bit of a pain - I think you can make life simpler by using
'update-alternatives' to make postgres version 10 the default instead of
9.5 - or remove all the 9.5 packages (*but* if removing be careful that
you really don't have any 9.5 databases under /var/lib/postgresql/9.5
first...otherwise you will be reaching for your backups - at this point
I should ask you do have backups right)?

So perhaps do a bit more investigation, and report back here before
removing anything :-)

regards

Mark