Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ?

From: Damien Clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 20th anniversary of PostgreSQL ?
Date: 2016-01-17 11:27:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> I am curious why you chose that date? I always thought it was the
> creation of the CVS tree on July 9, 1996.

Clearly I'm not familiar that part of PostgreSQL history but last year,
Dave told me that the birthdate was the start of the online presence,
which seems to be 22/10/1996 when Marc Fournier bought the
postgresql.org domain.

I don't really care though. We can define the birthdate as July 9,1996.
We can even avoid completely defining a specific date and simply state
that "PostgreSQL was born in 1996". I don't think people really care
what the date stands for anyway...

To me the most important thing is to have a series of coordinated events
and actions on a scheduled period. It can be in may, july or october...
The only problem I see with July is that it's more difficult to organize
events in the summer (at least in Europe)

Regards,

--
Damien Clochard