Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2022-03-30 12:01:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/30/22 04:46, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 6:09 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/29/22 13:47, Amit Kapila wrote:

>>> I have suggested in email [1] that increasing values
>>> max_sync_workers_per_subscription/max_logical_replication_workers
>>> should solve this issue. Now, whether this is a previous issue or
>>> behavior can be debatable but I think it happens for the new test case
>>> added by commit c91f71b9dc.
>>>

>> IMHO that'd be just hiding the actual issue, which is the failure to
>> sync the subscription in some circumstances. We should fix that, not
>> just make sure the tests don't trigger it.
>>

> I am in favor of fixing/changing some existing behavior to make it
> better and would be ready to help in that investigation as well but
> was just not sure if it is a good idea to let some of the buildfarm
> member(s) fail for a number of days. Anyway, I leave this judgment to
> you.

OK. If it affected more animals, and/or if they were failing more often,
it'd definitely warrant a more active approach. But AFAICS it affects
only a tiny fraction, and even there it fails maybe 1 in 20 runs ...

Plus the symptoms are pretty clear, it's unlikely to cause enigmatic
failures, forcing people to spend time on investigating it.

Of course, that's my assessment and it feels weird as it goes directly
against my instincts to keep all tests working :-/

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company