Re: Language support of postgresql

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Language support of postgresql
Date: 2017-05-02 18:55:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5/2/2017 11:41 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> John R Pierce<pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> writes:
>> I thought Postgres supported client_encodings of BIG5, GB18030, and GBK,
>> all of which can be stored in the server using either UTF8 or
>> MULE_INTERNAL (MultiLingual EMACS) encodings for internal storage ?
> Hm, there's MULE<=>BIG5 converters but I don't see any for GBK or
> GB18030. Also, it looks like the MULE<=>BIG5 converters do some
> re-encoding, so it's not clear to me whether they're lossless,
> which I assume is the concern driving this request.

I based my statement on misreading the tables on here,
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/multibyte.html but, now I
see, MULE only supports big5 and EUC_CN.

My limited readings earlier about BIG5 suggested its a mess of
conflicting extensions, E-TEN and others, and the GB* stuff wasn't much
better.

Anyways, it seems to me like UTF8 is the correct server encoding for
most all uses.