Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

From: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs
Date: 2004-05-07 11:29:40
Lists: pgsql-sql

In the same vein ...

We are at present using BLOBs to store images (but not very many) and generated
output (mostly HTML and XML). The data being stored doesn't require BLOB use
because of size; it's mostly the binary nature of the data.

Lack of satisfaction with the BLOB support (generally difficult to dump and
reload the database; strange problems such as OIDs exceeding 2G causing some
interface code to break; very difficult to search the BLOB for specific strings)
has led us to consider whether we might be better off with a different solution.
The one being considered is to convert the BLOBs to BYTEA fields. Does anyone
have any experience with this approach? Is there anything in upcoming versions
of Pg that would make BLOBs more useful for us?