difference between 'where' and 'having'

From: Adam Šindelář <adam(dot)sindelar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: difference between 'where' and 'having'
Date: 2008-04-28 19:22:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi, I have a question, that's probably really stupid, but could someone
please explain to me what difference there is between a WHERE clause and a
HAVING clause besides the syntax? I read the documentation where it states
that:

Expressions in the HAVING clause can refer both to grouped expressions and
to ungrouped expressions (which necessarily involve an aggregate function).

I've been happily working with Postgres for a long time, and not once have I
ever used a HAVING in my queries, even in fairly complex ones, and I just
can't bear the suspense anymore! :)

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.

Adam