Daisy chaining replication slaves ?

From: Rob Cowell <Rob(dot)Cowell(at)transversal(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Daisy chaining replication slaves ?
Date: 2012-06-13 13:43:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm a postgres newbie (in fact a DB newbie if I'm honest :))

I'm just wondering if there is a way to slave from a slave server?
I have a Postgres9.1.3 master serving up data quite happily to the web applications, and I have also set up a slave via streaming replication.
I've now been asked by my manager to set up a secondary slave, slaving off the first slave - e.g.

Master (DB1) --> Slave (DB2) --> Secondary_Slave (DB3)

Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
In my tests last night I setup the DB3 server to replicate from DB2, but for some reason it was complaining about 'max_wal_senders' being set to 1 on the master.
If all the settings are pointing DB3 at DB2, why would it be trying to talk to DB1 instead?

Cheers,
Rob.