replication recommendation

From: "Vaughn, Adam (IMS)" <VaughnA(at)imsweb(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: replication recommendation
Date: 2010-07-18 15:04:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

We are running PG 8.4.4 on Suse 9 and would like to set up a master/slave configuration but have the following requirements:
- we want to be able to freeze the slave and only force it to update 'on demand'
- we have data in other schemas in the slave database that we would like to preserve

The master and slave will exist on different servers if that helps. The master DB is roughly 40 GB in size. I realize we could do a dump on master and restore to slave, but it seems like there might be a more elegant and efficient solution.

Does anyone have any recommendations about the best replication solution given these requirements?
Thanks in advance

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.