Re: Invalid Page Headers

From: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Invalid Page Headers
Date: 2006-04-20 17:07:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Apr 19, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com> writes:
>> Any tips on turning "ERROR: invalid page header in block 34 of
>> relation" into a pg_filedump command that would yield something
>> useful
>> or interesting? If so, I'll post the results of all three relations
>> known to be corrupt so far.
>
> For me, the nicest pg_filedump output format is "-i -f", but if the
> page
> is sufficiently hosed that pg_filedump can't make any sense of it, you
> may have to fall back to a raw dump, "-d". In any case, if you don't
> want to dump the entire file, use "-R blkno" or "-R startblk endblk"
> to constrain the dump.
>
> BTW, last I heard the posting size limit on these lists was only about
> 20K. If you don't want your results to languish awhile in the
> moderator's approval queue, you might want to post a link to the dump
> instead of the whole thing.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the pg_filedump request through to the
list until yesterday evening (inexplicable mail delivery issue), by
which point the known points of corruption had already been fixed.

The upside is that the corruption seems to have been restricted to
three relations, all of which have been fixed. I was able to perform
a successful pg_dump.

But I'm still disappointed in the hardware bleed-through affecting
the filesystem. :(

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming