Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]

From: David Harper <adh(at)sanger(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ambiguous language in Table 8.13. Special Date/Time Inputs [EXT]
Date: 2019-07-10 10:13:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

> I actually agree with your opinion that "midnight" is fine.
> That text has been that way for over fifteen years[1], and
> nobody's complained before that it was ambiguous.

Conversely, how many users over the past fifteen years have read that table, and then felt compelled (as I did) to run a query such as

select 'today'::timestamp,'yesterday'::timestamp,'tomorrow'::timestamp;

on their PostgreSQL cluster to clear the ambiguity for themselves?

Best regards

David Harper

Wellcome Sanger Institute, Cambridge, England

--
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research