Re: Native partitioning tablespace inheritance

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Native partitioning tablespace inheritance
Date: 2018-04-12 18:36:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Apr 12, 2018, at 09:17, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hmm, that's interesting. So you want the children to inherit the
> parent's tablespace when they are created, but if the parent's
> tablespace is later changed, the existing children don't move?

+1 to that behavior.

While it's always possible to just say "do the right thing" to the application when creating new children (that is, expect that they will always specify a tablespace if it's not the default), this seems like the least-surprising behavior.

It's true that an unpartitioned table will always be created in the default tablespace unless otherwise specified, but child tables are sufficiently distinct from that case that I don't see it as a painful asymmetry.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com