Re: hyper slow after upgrade to 8.1.4

From: "Medora Schauer" <mschauer(at)fairfield(dot)com>
To: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: "postgresql" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hyper slow after upgrade to 8.1.4
Date: 2006-07-13 13:22:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

It does seem to be network related. Using the 8.1.4 psql on a machine
other than the db server connecting to a database takes ~11 secs. Using
it on the db server the connection is virtually instantaneous. Using
the 7.3.4 psql (still the 8.1.4 postmaster) the connection is fast
regardless of what machine I am on.

The pg.log contains the following at the top:

LOG: could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by
protocol

I am using a 2.4.25 linux kernel. For reasons I can't get into I have
no choice but to use this kernel. The config utility for the kernel
shows support for the IPv6 protocol as "experimental" and is not
included in my current build. I can try building a kernel that includes
IPv6 but the "experimental" caveat is scary.

Can it be that the connection delay is because first an IPv6 socket is
trying to be established and when that fails an IPv4 socket is created?
If so, is there any way to make 8.1.4 use only IPv4 sockets?

BTW - The slowness seems to be only during db connection. Once the
connection is established queries seem to execute in a timely manner.

Medora