RE: [INTERFACES] 8k limit

From: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "'stuart(at)comodo(dot)net'" <stuart(at)comodo(dot)net>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] 8k limit
Date: 1999-10-26 13:31:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

The 8kB limit you are refering to is probably the tuple-length limit. This
can be altered to a maximum of 64kB (I think, might only be 32kB), but you
need to recompile your server, and initdb. This limit will not be removed
until at least version 7.
There is also a limit on the length of a query string, if you are using a
6.5.x production release. This limit is set to twice the tuple-length
limit, so if your block-size (tuple-length) is set to 8kB, then your maximum
query string length will be 16kB. If you recompile your server to up the
block-size to, say, 32kB, then your query string limit will automatically be
altered to 64kB.

As far as the number of los go, I'm afraid I can't help you on that one.

MikeA