RE: [INTERFACES] ecpg and getting just assigned serial number

From: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "'Michael Meskes'" <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] ecpg and getting just assigned serial number
Date: 1999-09-15 07:50:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I don't think that a sequence number should be going into sqlca. This is
what it sounds like you are going to do, yes?

If anything is going to be returned in sqlca, it should only be the oid, at
least until Postgres gets a serial type (and probably after that as well),
and each table is guaranteed to only have one serial. In effect, that's
what the oid is, so if the insert returns the oid in sqlca, then you can
select based on the oid. Problem solved. And this is only for a single
insert (i.e. an insert with the VALUES keyword). For multiple inserts
(INSERT INTO <table> SELECT ...) this must be undefined, unless there is a
way of getting and returning all the oids, but I doubt it.

MikeA