Max Query length string

From: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Max Query length string
Date: 1999-07-29 12:36:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I've been mulling over the idea of using stringinfo for psql, but I don't
think that it's such a good idea, because it means that I would be linking
stuff from the backend sub-tree into client tools. Stringinfo is a module
which implements an expandable string buffer which already exists in
src/backend/lib. I have required this for psql, and initially wrote my own.
Bruce mentioned that I should look at stringinfo, which I did, and it seems
to fill the requirements just fine.
What I'd like to do is use the expandable buffer that I wrote for psql, and
any other client-side utils that require it; and then use stringinfo for
anything new that requires an expanable buffer in the backend (this will
happen anyway, stringinfo's here to stay). This removes any dependency
between the client-side and server-side components of the system. I don't
know if there are any dependencies at the moment, but my first instinct
would be to try to prevent any from creeping in.

Ideas, thoughts...

MikeA