Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function

From: Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: PGSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function
Date: 2008-08-29 02:33:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 28, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Matthew Dennis wrote:
> Yes, but in the case of pluggable languages, you still load
> something that constitutes the "source". In the case of PL/Java,
> the jar for example.

This would mean that, for example, if you changed any single function
(no matter how distant and irrelevant to the one used to create a
functional index), the jar would change, so we would have to
invalidate all functional indexes written using functions contained
in that jar. I'd certainly rebel at that: It would make deploying a
new version of the jar very expensive, and unavoidably so.

I'd have to say that the current situation falls into the category of
"slightly annoying," but it has the benefit that whether or not to
rebuild the index is left up to me.