RE: [HACKERS] [HACK]-[INTERFACE] jdbc/postgresql.jar execution er rors

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "'Allan Huffman'" <huffmana(at)ppc(dot)pims(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, swaffors(at)ppc(dot)pims(dot)org
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] [HACK]-[INTERFACE] jdbc/postgresql.jar execution er rors
Date: 2000-01-13 14:34:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Replies prefixed with PM:

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: Allan Huffman [mailto:huffmana(at)ppc(dot)pims(dot)org]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 1:17 PM
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org; pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org;
swaffors(at)ppc(dot)pims(dot)org
Subject: [HACKERS] [HACK]-[INTERFACE] jdbc/postgresql.jar execution
errors

Dear [HACKERS] and [NTERFACES]

We are having some trouble getting an applet that accesses PostgreSQL to
run under Netscape. The following is a present status summary:

If anyone can help it would be really terrific!

When executing the applet, the Netscape web server logs shows
connections or calls being made to different classes and jar files. The
postgresql.jar file is found correctly through the classpath (identified
in the web server start file in /Netscape/Suitespot/https-default/start
ref the classpath), but, it then seems to look for errors.class,
errors_EN.class, and errors_EN_US.class, none of which can be found. We
expanded the postgresql.jar file, and those classes weren't part of the
tree either.

PM: It should be looking for errors.properties, errors_en.properties
etc... This sounds like a bug in Netscapes VM...

This appears to be either -
For some reason normal classes (not part of the postgres
package) are being looked for as sub-classes in the postgres set
OR
Those classes are meant to be postgres error classes that
weren't compiled or included in the postgresql.jar file. Then again,
after looking at the README and Makefiles for the postgresql.jar file,
we would tend to agree that the file is being built with all the classes
normally needed.

PM: The files in question are actually plain text files. the standard
English one is errors.properties, which should be in the postgresql
directory. This should be the _last_ one looked for. The others are done
in reverse order, and should be parsed as errors_en_us.properties then
errors_en.properties. This allows us to have foreign language support in
the error messages (we have english & french, and 7.0 has dutch).

We also looked at http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
(faq), and it seems to suggest that building the jar file with the right
classes for postgresql is fairly straightforward.
Hmmmm.....

The applet runs correctly until it tries to execute the following
line:
==> Class.classDriver = ClassforName("postgresql.Driver");

PM: It should be Class.forName but I presume this is a typo...

It then enters that try/catch error process and appear to try to find
the missing classes.

PM: What version of Netscape are you using? So far, only IE has had
problems, but of those applet users contacting me haven't seen this
problem.

When compiling the applet no error messages like "class not found"
are flagged. But, there are execution errors when we compiled with
jdbc6_5-1_2:

==>getConnection ERROR 1: The postgresql.jar file does not contain the
correct JDBC classes for this JVM. Try rebuilding. If that fails, try
forcing the version supplying it to the command line using the argument
-Djava.version=1.1 or -Djava.version=1.2

PM: Compile the postgresql.jar file using JDK1.1.x (x=6 or 7) and not
1.2. Your copy of netscape is using the earlier JVM, and the class file
format is slightly different, as is the JDBC API.

==>Exception thrown was java.lang.ClassNotFoundExcption:
postgresql.jdbc1.Connection.

PM: Yes, jdbc1 is for JDK1.1.x, while jdbc2 is for JDK1.2 (aka Java2)
and later

Sounds a lot like the problems that we are having trying to run under
Netscape!

Allan tried to use the command line argument they talked about but can't
find the command line
in the Visual Cafe environment even after searching the help files......

Perhaps postgresql.jar is a 1.2 java driver.

PM: It depends on how you compile it. There are actually two drivers in
there.

We've got a business trip and we are leaving on for 2.5 to 3 weeks.
Should be fun -- a few eastern Europe countries like Uzbekistan, Kyrghyz
Republic, and Kazakhstan.

Sincerely,

Allan in Belgium
and