Re: Slightly improve initdb --sync-only option's help message

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slightly improve initdb --sync-only option's help message
Date: 2021-07-30 09:21:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 30 Jul 2021, at 01:37, Bossart, Nathan <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On 7/29/21, 2:11 AM, "Daniel Gustafsson" <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
>> I think removing the word "only" here is a net loss, since it IMO clearly
>> conveyed that this option isn't doing any of the other initdb duties. The
>> documentation states it in more words, but the help output must be brief so I
>> think "only" is a good keyword.
>
> I've attached a new version of the patch in which I've attempted to
> address both sets of feedback.

LGTM. I took the liberty to rephrase the "and exit" part of the initdb help
output match the other exiting options in there. Barring objections, I think
this is ready.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Clarify-initdb-sync-only-help-message-and-docs.patch application/octet-stream 2.1 KB