No mention of standby.signal in pg_ugprade docs

From: Dan Stoner <dstoner(at)iris(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: No mention of standby.signal in pg_ugprade docs
Date: 2021-07-15 18:39:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

I noticed that standby.signal is not mentioned anywhere in the pg_upgrade document.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/pgupgrade.html

I had trouble the first time I tried to start my secondary because it didn't connect to the primary / start streaming until I touched the signal
file. The signal file is obliterated during the rsync but there is no mention of putting it back or preserving it.

Here is what the docs currently read:

10. Upgrade streaming replication and log-shipping standby servers
e. Save configuration files

Save any configuration files from the old standbys' configuration directories you need to keep, e.g., postgresql.conf (and any files included by it), postgresql.auto.conf, pg_hba.conf, because these will be overwritten or removed in the next step.

Maybe a mention of standby.signal would make sense under:

g. Configure streaming replication and log-shipping standby servers

Thanks for considering this change.

Dan Stoner