Re: Join question

From: Jeffrey Melloy <jmelloy(at)visualdistortion(dot)org>
To: "Williams, Travis L, NEO" <tlw(at)att(dot)com>
Cc: "Thomas A(dot) Lowery" <tlowery(at)stlowery(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Join question
Date: 2003-08-29 05:31:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 09:03 PM, Williams, Travis L, NEO
wrote:
>> I have a table1 with 2 col (a & b) where b can sometimes be null. I
>> need a query that if B is null I get back the contents of A.. but if B
>> is not null I do a "select d from table2 where d like '%b%'" There is
>> nothing to join between table1 & table2 (unless you can join on likes

You can do something like this, but I can't promise any great
performance:

select case when b is null
then a
else (select d from table2 where d ~* b) end as
value
from table1;

jmelloy=# select * from table1;
a | b
---+------
1 |
2 |
3 |
4 | for
5 | asdf
6 | coo
(6 rows)

jmelloy=# select * from table2;
----------
forsythe
manasdf
cool
(3 rows)

jmelloy=# select case when b is null then a::varchar else
jmelloy-# (select d from table2 where d ~* b) end as value
jmelloy-# from table1;
value
1
2