Re: PgAdmin no longer works on a "clean install" XP SP2

From: Doug Easterbrook <doug(at)artsman(dot)com>
To: Francisco Leovey <fleovey(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgAdmin no longer works on a "clean install" XP SP2
Date: 2011-05-02 15:16:04
Lists: pgadmin-support

since this is a discussion list, I thought I'd weigh in with an opinion.

first, the visual C++ redistributable isn't really a PG admin problem, its a Microsoft problem

second, why on earth would Microsoft distribute half an operating system ... or an operating system without all its parts. as a developer, we hit that all the time. They don't put all of the runtime libraries on a machine, and the certainly don't implement all of the .net stuff on all machines despite the fact that these technologies are their flag ship products (they are now optional installs) . try finding openssl and getting that to work as well, not to mention redistributable library conflicts. I know - we've hit them all and the landscape changes every time there is a relevant OS patch or major release of the OS.

so, go figure Microsoft's philosophy and how things are intertwined. you rely on things being there, so I understand your point, but I don't think its up to pgadmin to police Microsoft, thats not their responsibility.

the postgres installer does a nice job of putting the right redistributable libraries in place ... Pg admin works fine under those circumstances.

but as a programmer, its our job to put things in place ... at best, I think the PG Admin team could provide a link on their web site and acknowledge that Microsoft does silly things to make life harder --- and here's how to fix it.

enough of my soapbox, I suppose.. I just don't think we, as developers, are responsible for saving the world from Microsoft's ongoing decisions that make our lives harder. Microsoft should be solving these

Doug Easterbrook
Arts Management Systems Ltd.
mailto:doug(at)artsman(dot)com
http://www.artsman.com