String search?

From: Peter Landis <ntwebdeveloper(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Peter Landis <ntwebdeveloper(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Barnes <aardvark(at)ibm(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: String search?
Date: 1999-12-29 22:25:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi-

I'm a newbie at postgresql and created a relational
database with perl. What my question is, how do you
do a string search in postgresql? I know you can
search for string comparisons in oracle but was
wondering if this is possible in postgresql? So far
I've been using the SELECT syntax for finding words in
the database, but this is assuming that the word is
exactly the same. If anyone could advise me on this
minor problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Peter Landis