Re: [HACKERS] Re: QUESTION: Replication

From: "neil d(dot) quiogue" <nquiogue(at)ieee(dot)org>
To: Goran Thyni <goran(at)kirra(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: QUESTION: Replication
Date: 1999-12-22 06:52:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Goran,

> > We need major work in this area, or at least a plan and an FAQ item.
> > We are getting major questions on this, and I don't know enough even to
> > make an FAQ item telling people their options.

> It is pretty simple to build a replication with pg_dump, transfer,
> empty replic and reload.

Simple process for simple replication. This would not work optimally
for replication through the WAN (or Internet) since it does not do
differential replication (and therefore transfering dumps isn't
good enough). Then one has to worry about the integrity of the
replicated data. Then we need to answer the n-way question (any db
server may be a source for the replication).

Regards,

Neil D. Quiogue
STO - dotPH, Inc.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson