Re: [HACKERS] Availability of SQL standards

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, olly(at)linda(dot)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Availability of SQL standards
Date: 1999-12-04 20:10:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>As I get more involved with this project, and just in general, I was
>thinking that it might be a good idea to have the SQL standards around.
>I understand that the standards organizations are selling those, but a
>quick search showed way too many documents at way too high prices in a way
>too far away locality.
>
>Are there any commercially available books that cover these as well to a
>reasonable extent? I guess I can live without the technical grammar specs
>if it shrinks volume and price. Of course an overview of actual
>implementations (a.k.a. "how does Oracle do it") might be nice, too. I'm
>not talking about any "Intro to SQL" books here, but the full deal. What
>do you use?

I have "SQL - The Standard Handbook" by SJ Cannan and GAM Otten, published
by McGraw-Hill 1993. ISBN: 0-07-707664-8. It cost me 35 pounds, 5 years
ago. It covers SQL-92 and it contains an appendix with the syntax in
BNF notation.

--
Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk