Urgent - unable to get postgres up

From: "V Krishnaraj" <kimi(at)intercept(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Urgent - unable to get postgres up
Date: 1999-12-04 00:42:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear Community,

Postgres has been suddenly shut off and we are unable to log on:

The error message we get at the unix prompt when starting
postmaster is:

/usr/local/bin/postmaster does not know where to find the da
tabase system data. You must specify the directory that contains
the database s
ystem either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting
the PGDATA env
ironment variable.

No data directory -- can't proceed.

Please help. A mission critical application is held up.

Thanks in advance.

Kimi