Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)netrinsics(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions
Date: 1999-11-30 04:02:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Consider had Vadim made this proposal (set the time-travel machine to
> version 7.1.2 or so):
>
> "I'm going to remove WAL from Postgres, so that we can use
> the table name as the filename for the table on disk."
>
> So, no, rather than being a major pain, I'd classify it as a minor
> inconvenience. If it becomes, in fact, a major pain, one can always
> write a two-line psql script that prints a table name, given an oid.

What I am saying is that I want WAL and the old naming system. I think
name_oid may be a good solution. For log recover, Vadim can actually
get the oid/name mapping by just getting the file names from the
directories and looking at the names attached to each oid.

Let's not loose the usual names if they can be preserved with little
effort. Believe me, not keeping readable file names will cause lots of
work for us and for users, so a little work now in keeping the existing
system will save lots of work in the future.

> On an unrelated matter, I haven't been following the "limit elimination"
> effort as closely as I should have. Is it now possible to compile Postgres
> with 16Kb tuple size, and insert/select 15Kb text fields from the tuples?

I think so.