Re: [HACKERS] Encoding in UDF's

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Andrij Korud" <akorud(at)polynet(dot)lviv(dot)ua>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Encoding in UDF's
Date: 1999-11-06 04:47:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have a postgres compiled with -mb=KOI8, store cyrillic data, get in the
> client using different encoding (SET ENCODING=WIN1251, KOI8). The question
~~~~~~~~CLIENTENCODING
> is: what should return stored procedure if I want to see it's output in
> different encodings? Win1251, KOI8, UTF-8, something else?

I assume you mean "stored procedure" as user defined functions.

Since you have created your database with KOI8, any proccessing within
the backend is done in KOI8 no matter what client encodings are used.

So the answer is:
Your fuction would see the input data in KOI8 and should return data
in KOI8 too.
---
Tatsuo Ishii