Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit

From: marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za, stuart(at)comodo(dot)net, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit
Date: 1999-10-27 06:41:02
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> There has been discussion of fixing this, eg by making a subdirectory
> tree for LOs, but I'd rather see us put our effort into eliminating
> the tuple length limit.

This would be very nice - because this also means to get SQL
statements that may really be 8k long !

Perhaps you all remember a rather complex view statement I posted here
some days ago, where postgresql said something like "rule too large" and
this seems to be a limitation for me. Actually as a user one does not know
when this limit is reached by the system.

All "we" (the users :-)) know about the 8192 byte limit of an SQL statement,
but this is not the whole truth.

Marten