Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit

From: "Gene Selkov, Jr(dot)" <selkovjr(at)mcs(dot)anl(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, stuart(at)comodo(dot)net
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit
Date: 1999-10-27 04:40:58
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Next question is whats the max number of large
> objects you can store? I think its about 4 billion , am i wrong?

Don't know the exact theortical limit, but I believe it depends on the
capability of your file system, rather than pointer size and such,
because each lo is a file.

For example, my file system can have 1064960 files in it (one can find
that out with fsck), but the practical constraint will be much
lower. I find it difficult to deal with 30000 files in one directory,
for example. The time it takes to open a file in such directory is
usually on the order of seconds.

--Gene