Re: [GENERAL] Re: Errors in Postgres

From: Martin Weinberg <weinberg(at)osprey(dot)astro(dot)umass(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: oleg(at)pine(dot)krs(dot)ru, vadim(at)krs(dot)ru, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, weinberg(at)osprey(dot)astro(dot)umass(dot)edu
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Errors in Postgres
Date: 1999-10-24 12:16:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Bruce Momjian wrote on Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:42:53 EDT
>This is a standard C++ problem. Some platforms need string.h, and some
>just string. We have not figured out a way to make this work on all
>platforms.
>
>Any ideas? We kept switching them back and forth until we realized
>this. Sun's seem to have the problem.
>
>At this point, and OS-specific test would probably be OK.

Yes, this has been trouble everywhere.

I believe <string> is ANSI. In the latest gnulibs, the old libg++ is
replaced by stdc++ which should have "string" defined. For what it's
worth, this works on one of our sparc solaris boxes with gcc 2.8.1.
Although it may well be something else, you might check to make sure
that you have the latest version of the gnu g++ libraries.

FYI, in the gnu implemenation, the "string" header is just an include
of the original "string.h" but at least it's conforming.

--Martin