Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL-development"(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] Outline for PostgreSQL book
Date: 1999-10-21 03:49:25
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Actually, I want to make sure the book is accessible on the web. I will
> > keep your translation idea in mind. Good point.
>
> Talk to Philip Greenspun. Morgan-Kaufman cut him a deal where his book,
> "Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing" is also available free on
> the web (http://photo.net/wtr/thebook). His e-mail is philg(at)mit(dot)edu(dot)

I have this from Addison Wesley. It is online now.

> And you gotta see the quality of his book! Amazon carries it.
> (although, I must say, some of his choices for pictures were a little
> over the top....)

Much thanks for sending me this suggestion.

I read it at:

http://photo.net/wtr/dead-trees/story.html

First, it is very long, so let me give you a quick summary. He did his
first book for MacMillan, which is like Sams, Waite, etc. Basically your
fat book for dummies, and had a pretty terrible experience. You have to
read it to appreciate it. This reminds me of Thomas's comment that we
need a good, quality publisher for our books. If the first book that
came out on PostgreSQL was "PostgreSQL for Dummies", Marc would have a
fit. And I have seen him in fits -- it is not pretty.

He did his second book for Morgan Kaufmann, who is a quality publisher
like Addison Wesley. Totally different experience, and a different
quality book.

This is required reading for anyone who is interested in the book
writing experience or is considering writing a book. People, we need to
stay with the quality publishers, if possible.

I am sure there will be a "PostgreSQL Unleashed" book one day, with tons
of graphic arrows and very little content, but let's put it off as long
as we can.