Re: [HACKERS] Implications of multi-byte support in a distribution

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, 43702(at)bugs(dot)debian(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Implications of multi-byte support in a distribution
Date: 1999-09-01 02:30:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Perhaps the worst case for MB would be regex ops. If you do a lot of
>> regex queries, performance degration might not be neglectable.
>
>It should be. What would be nice is to have a column-specific
>MB support. But I doubt if it's possible.

That shouldn't be too difficult, if we have an encoding infomation
with each text column or literal. Maybe now is the time to introuce
NCHAR?

BTW, it is interesting that people does not hesitate to enable
with-locale option even if they only use ASCII. I guess the
performance degration by enabling locale is not too small.
--
Tatsuo Ishii